1. Government Sets Road Construction Worth INR 15 Lakh Crore as Target for Next 2 years
- Minister for Road Transport & Highways and Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises, Nitin Gadkari said that the Government is giving utmost priority to the development of infrastructure and has set a target of road construction of worth Rs 15 lakh crores in next two years.
- The Minister said that in India, projects like the National Infrastructure pipeline for 2019-2025 is the first of its kind and the government is committed to provide world-class infra to its citizens and improving quality of their lives. He said that under the NIP, there are over 7,300 projects to be implemented at a total outlay of Rs 111 lakh crore by year 2025.
About Ministry of Road Transport & Highways (MoRTH)
Union Minister– Nitin Gadkari (Constituency – Nagpur, Maharashtra)
Minister of State(MoS)– Vijay Kumar Singh (Constituency – Ghaziabad, UP)
2. JSW Energy signs 540 MW Wind PPA with Solar Energy Corporation of India
- The pact signed by SECI with JSW Renew Energy is the single largest power purchase agreement to be signed by SECI for wind/blended wind category in the industry and marks the foray of the company in the specific category of green energy generation.
- JSW Future Energy, wholly-owned subsidiary of JSW Energy, is the first company to have signed a PPA for supply of large capacity of 540 MW on its debut, bringing much needed certainty to the project.
About JSW Energy
Joint MD & CEO – Prashant Jain
Headquarters – Mumbai, Maharashtra
3. RBI Imposed Monetary Penalty of Rs 3 crore on ICICI Bank for Contravention of Rules
- RBI has imposed a monetary penalty of Rs 3 crore on ICICI Bank for “contravention of certain directions issued by the RBI contained in Master Circular on ”Prudential Norms for Classification, Valuation and Operation of Investment Portfolio by Banks” dated July 1, 2015“.
- The bank had transferred two separate categories of securities on two different dates from HTM to AFS in April and May of 2017, which it believed was permissible as per Master Circular on Prudential Norms.
About Goldman Sachs Group:
Establishment – 1869
Headquarters – New York, United States
Chairman and CEO -David M. Solomon
4. Satyajit Ray Lifetime Achievement Award for Excellence in Cinema instituted in 2021 to be given at IFFI every year
- The legendary filmmaker, the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting ‘Satyajit Ray Lifetime Achievement Award for Excellence in Cinema’ has been instituted from this year to be given at the International Film Festival of India (IFFI) every year starting from this year 2021.
- The award consists of a cash prize of ₹10 lakh, a certificate, shawl, along with a Silver Peacock medal and a Scroll.
5. PV Sindhu, Michelle Li Named Athlete Ambassador for IOC’s ‘Believe in Sports’ Campaign
- The Badminton World Federation (BWF) PV Sindhu and Canada’s Michelle Li have been nominated as athlete ambassadors for the International Olympic Committee’s (IOC) ‘Believe in Sport’ campaign aimed at preventing competition manipulation.
- Sindhu and Li will be working alongside other athlete ambassadors from around the world to raise awareness on the topic of competition manipulation amongst athletes and entourage.
About International Olympic Committee(IOC):
President– Thomas Bach
Established on 23rd June 1894
Headquarters– Lausanne, Switzerland
6. BRO appoints Vaishali S Hiwase as First Women Executive Engineer to command RCC
- The Border Roads Organisation (BRO) has appointed a woman officer to command a Road Construction Company (RCC).
- To provide connectivity in a high-altitude area along the India-China border.
Director-General of BRO: Lt. Gen. Rajeev Chaudhary
BRO Headquarters: New Delhi
BRO Founded: 7 May 1960
7. SpaceX Launches 60 Starlink Satellites into Orbit for High-Speed Internet
- SpaceX launched an impressive 60 Starlink satellites from Space Launch Complex 40 (SLC-40) at Cape Canaveral Space Force Station in Florida, United States on 28 April 2021.
- The Starlink project will increase the internet speed to up to 100 megabytes per second which will allow users to stream multiple high-definition movies simultaneously while still leaving some bandwidth to spare.
8. Mark Selby won his 4th World Champion in Snooker
Mark Selby sealed his fourth World Championship with an 18-15 victory over Shaun Murphy in front of a packed Crucible crowd
The 37-year-old led 10-7 after Sunday’s first two sessions but Murphy won Monday’s opening frame and came agonisingly close to making it 10-9 when a final black failed to form in frame 19. Selby potted the black to lead 11-8 and looked comfortable as he moved 17-13 ahead.
9. Former Union minister and J&K governor Jagmohan passed away at 93
- Former Union minister and Jammu and Kashmir governor Jagmohan Malhotra passed away at the age of 93 after a spell of illness.
- He was honored with the Padma Shri in 1971, Padma Bhushan in 1977, and Padma Vibhushan in 2016.
10. World Asthma Day 2021:May 4
- World Asthma Day was first celebrated in 1998 in more than 35 countries along with the first World Asthma Meeting held in Barcelona, Spain.
- World Asthma Day is celebrated every year on the first Tuesday of May. The Global Initiative for Asthma (GINA) in collaboration with health care groups and asthma educators, organizes events to spread awareness and care around this respiratory disease.
- This year World Asthma Day is ‘Uncovering Asthma Misconceptions’.
11. Indian Army Inaugurates its 1st Green Solar Energy Harnessing Plant in North Sikkim
- Indian Army, in its quest for harnessing renewable energy for its troops, inaugurated the first green solar energy harnessing plant of 56 KVA today using Vanadium-based battery technology in a North Sikkim location, at an altitude of 16000 ft.
- The project was completed in collaboration with IIT Mumbai.
12. Government sets Food grains Production target at 307 Million Tonnes for 2021-22
Union Agriculture Minister Narendra Singh Tomar announced the higher foodgrain production target of 307 million tonnes at the National Conference on Kharif Campaign 2021 on Friday.
13. India’s 1st 3D printed house at the Indian Institute of Technology Madras (IIT-M), Chennai, Tamil Nadu
Tvasta Manufacturing Solutions, a start-up founded by alumni of IIT Madras, has made what it says is India’s first 3D-printed house. The team printed the structure using a specialty concrete that it had developed to print large-scale 3D structures in short periods.
14. A SpaceX Crew Dragon capsule, Resilience carrying 4 astronauts returned from the International Space Station(ISS) and splashdown into the Gulf of Mexico off the coast of Panama City, Florida, USA after a six-and-a-half-hour flight.
- The 4 Astronauts were: Victor Glover, Mike Hopkins and Shannon Walker (3 from America) and Soichi Noguchi (one from Japan).
Establishment – 2002
Chief Executive Officer – Elon Musk
Headquarters – California, USA
15. World Press Freedom Day 2021 – May 3
- The theme of World Press Freedom Day 2021 is “Information as a Public Good”.
16. Parvat Dhara Yojana
- The State Government of Himachal Pradesh has initiated ‘Parvat Dhara Yojana’ to revive, recharge aquifers (underground layer which contains water) and conserve natural resources of water in the state.
About Himachal Pradesh
Chief Minister – Jai Ram Thakur
Governor – Bandaru Dattatreya
Capital – Shimla
17. Justice (retired) Prafulla Chandra Pant (PC Pant)
- Justice (retired) Prafulla Chandra Pant (PC Pant), a Former Supreme Court Judge had been appointed as Acting Chairperson of National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) with effect from April 25, 2021.He Succeeds Justice H.L. Dattu, whose tenure ended on December 2, 2020.
18. T Rabi Sankar
- The Appointment Committee of the Cabinet(ACC) chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi has appointed T Rabi Sankar, the Executive Director of Reserve Bank of India(RBI) as the 4th Deputy Governor of RBI.
About Reserve Bank of India(RBI):
RBI was originally established as a private organisation and was nationalized in 1949.
Established on April 1, 1935
Governor– Shaktikanta Das
Headquarters– Mumbai, Maharashtra
This article is written by;
Mr. Abhishek Srivastava