1. Books: Ruskin Bond’s “All Time Favourite for the children” & Actress Kalki Koechlin Debutant Book “Elephant In The Womb”:
Padma awardee renowned stories & friction writer Mr. Ruskin Bonds new book All Time Favourite for the children to be published on his 87th birthday under Penguin Random House publications.
Versatile Hindi and Tamil Movies Actress Kalki Koechlin has authored a non-fiction book on motherhood titled “Elephant In The Womb”.
The debutant writer focused on the physiological discomfort and mental dilemmas during pregnancy.
This book features personal essays and think pieces of Actress Kalki Koechlin.
2. Trilateral cooperation agreement between Israel, India, and UAE set to collaborate for 1st time:
Israel, India and the UAE have reached a trilateral partnership initiated by the International Federation of Indo-Israel Chambers of Commerce (IFIICC).
The Israel-based company, Ecoppia will manufacture robotic solar cleaning technology in India for a landmark project in UAE.
Ecoppia is an Israeli company and the world’s leading manufacturer of robotic cleaning solutions for solar and it is already having manufacturing units in India too.
- Chairman – Eran Meller
- CEO – Jean Scemama
- H.Q – Tel Aviv, Israel
3. NABARD to Financially assist Rs 9162 cr. to West Bengal for the development of agriculture and allied sectors under Covid-19 in 2021-22:
The financial supports included Rs 1269.2crore loan to the state government for various rural infrastructure development, Rs 3842.3 crore long-term refinance assistance to Rural Financial Institutions (RFIs) for financing investment activities in agriculture and allied sectors under Covid-19 and MSME sector, and Rs 3757.5 crore short-term refinance to RFIs.
NABARD has estimated a credit potential of Rs 2.21 lakh crore for West Bengal to be disbursed by various banks for the priority sector activities in 2021-22.
- Chairman – Govinda Rajulu Chintala
- H.Q– Mumbai, Maharashtra
4. IBM unveils the World’s first 2 nanometer (nm) chip technology:
The development of the world’s first chip announced with 2 nanometer (nm) nanosheet technology unveils by IBM.
The nanosheet technology chip is claimed to 45 percent higher performance, or 75 percent lower energy use, than today’s most advanced 7 nm node chips.
International Business Machines(IBM) Corporation is an American multinational technology and consulting company.
- CEO: Arvind Krishna
- H.Q: Armonk, New York, USA
5. e-Sanjeevani OPD:
OPD has been developed by Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (C-DAC) in Mohali.
eSanjeevani – a doctor to doctor telemedicine system is being deployed nationally for the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare at 155,000 Health and Wellness Centres under Ayushman Bharat Scheme of Government of India.
The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India and the eSanjeevani OPD team at C-DAC Mohali
6. MK Stalin becomes Tamil Nadu CM:
M K Stalin took oath as the 23rd Chief Minister (CM) of Tamil Nadu (TN). He was the 37th Mayor of Chennai from 1996 to 2002 and 1st Deputy Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu from 2009 to 2011.
M.K. Stalin belongs to Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (DMK) party and was placed 30th on the list of India’s Most powerful Personalities in 2019 by the Indian Express.
About Tamil Nadu:
- Governor – Banwarilal Purohit
- Capital – Chennai
7. N Rangasamy becomes CM of Puducherry for 4th time:
N Rangasamy from All India N.R. Congress (AINRC) took oath as the CM of Puducherry.
This is the 4th Term N Rangasamy’s as CM of Puducherry.
- Governor – Tamilisai Soundararajan
- Capital – Puducherry
8. Central Farm Machinery Training & Testing Institute, Budni (Madhya Pradesh) tested the first-ever electric Tractor in the Institute;
The institute has tested the tractor & released the Draft Test Report in February, 2021. After the release of the draft test report, the manufacturer has requested for conversion of the nature of the test from “Confidential to Commercial” and the competent authority has accepted the request of the manufacturer.
Accordingly, the Test Report was released as a Commercial Test Report. Electric tractor will be more environment friendly than other types of tractors.
9. The UK has become the first country to announce regulation of the use of self-driving vehicles at slow speeds on motorways
The UK government became the first country to announce it will regulate the use of self-driving vehicles at slow speeds on motorways.
The government decides the use of ALKS Automated Lane Keeping Systems (ALKS) would be restricted to motorways, at speeds under 37 miles (60 km) per hour.
- Queen: Queen Elizabeth II
- Prime Minister – Boris Johnson
- Capital – London
10. International Nurses Day: 12 May 2021
The Seventy-third World Health Assembly of WHO designated 2021 as the “International Year of the Health and Care Workers” to celebrate all the nurses and the healthcare professionals in the world.
The International Council of Nurses set this year’s theme as “Nurses: A Voice to Lead – a Vision for Future Healthcare”.
11. Sikkim – World’s first organic state Awarded UN Future Policy Gold Award 2018
Sikkim’s approach reaches beyond organic production and has proven truly transformational for the state and its citizens. The policy implemented a phase-out of chemical fertilizers and pesticides and achieved a total ban on the sale and use of chemical pesticides in the state.
- Capital: Gangtok
- Governor: Mr. Ganga Prasad
- Population: 6.19 Lakhs (2012)
- Chief Minister: Prem Singh Tamang
12. The Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI) has mooted the concept of ‘Model Insurance Village (MIV)’ to boost insurance penetration in rural areas
The concept of ‘Model Insurance Village (MIV)’ to boost insurance penetration in rural areas developed by insurance regulator “The Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI)”
The idea is to offer comprehensive insurance protection to all the major insurable risks that villagers are exposed to and make available covers at affordable or subsidised cost
Flexible Farm Insurance Package Policies targeting comprehensive needs of crops, livestock, farmer, farm implements.
13. A Book titled “1971: The Beginning of India’s Cricketing Greatness”
The author Boria Majumdar and Gautam Bhattacharya write about the Book script “1971: The Beginning of India’s Cricketing Greatness” will be published by HarperCollins.
I will join the two wins, West Indies and England. I can think of what compares with 1971 is the 1983 World Cup win.
1971 twin tours, that bring to life the on-field excitement and the backroom drama.
14. The World Food Prize 2021 : Dr. Shakuntala Haraksingh Thilsted the first Asian woman
Dr. Shakuntala Haraksingh Thilsted is the winner of the World Food Prize in this year’s 2021.
She helped improve nutrition and health for many peoples around the world.
Dr. Shakuntala Haraksingh is the first woman of Asian heritage to win the prize and to receive the cash prize of 250,000 USD award in 2021.
The President of the World Food Prize Foundation award announced by Barbara Stinson.
World Food Prize:
- President – Ms. Barbara Stinson
- H.Q– Des Moines
15. Padmakumar M Nair: The New CEO of NARCL
Padmakumar Madhavan Nair is set to take charge as the head of the National Asset Reconstruction Company Ltd (NARCL), the name announced in the Budget 2021-22 for the bad bank is expected to be operational in the month of June.
Padmakumar Madhavan Nair is currently Chief General Manager with SBI’s Stressed Assets Resolution Group.
16. Green Urja Award:
IREDA has been conferred with the Green Urja Award 2021 for its developmental role towards the Green Energy Financing. IREDA won the Green Urja award for being the Leading Public Institution in Financing Institution for Renewable Energy (RE) in the year 2021 by the Indian Chamber of Commerce (ICC).
The Green Urja award was accepted by Shri Pradip Kumar Das (CMD).
- Director-General- Dr. Ajay Mathur
- CMD– Pradip Kumar Das
- H.Q– New Delhi
17. United Nation reflects India’s GDP growth rate 7.5 percent in 2021 and 10.1 percent in 2022:
The United Nations projects India’s GDP growth forecast to 7.5% for the year 2021, marking a 0.2 percent increase from its projection in January, but reflects a highly fragile outlook because of the brutal COVID-19 second wave.
- Headquarters – Newyork, United States
- Members states – 193
- Secretary-General – Antonio Manuel de Oliveira Guterres
- Establishment- 24 October 1945, after World War II
18. IEA: India’s Renewable Capacity Addition falls by 50% to 5.62 GW in 2020:
Recently, ‘Renewable Energy Market Update – Outlook for 2021 and 2022’ report released by International Energy Agency (IEA), India’s Renewable Energy capacity addition declined by almost 50% to 5.62 GigaWatts (GW) in 2020 (compared to 2019). The decline in capacity addition in India has been attributed to the COVID-19 pandemic.
International Energy Agency (IEA)
- Executive Director – Dr Fatih Birol
- Headquarters – Paris, France
- Members – 30 member & 8 association countries
19. CEEW-CEF Report : India adds 12.1 GW Power Generation capacity in FY21, RE contributes to 64%:
India is undergoing an energy transition from fossil-based to clean energy.
Evidence-based decision-making can accelerate the process.
Around 12.1 GW of total generation capacity was added in FY21, primarily dominated by RE (7.7 GW or 64%) followed by the coal/lignite (3.9 GW) segment.
In FY21, around 21.2 GW of RE capacity was auctioned. Grid-scale solar PV (17.3 GW) remained the dominant technology followed by wind-solar hybrid (2.8 GW) and wind (1.2 GW). Q4 saw an increase in auctioned capacity from 2.97 GW in Q3 to 3.9 GW.
20. World Bank: India tops in Remittance Inflow received USD 83 Billion in FY2020:
Recently, Resilience COVID-19 Crisis Through a Migration Lens report released by the World Bank reflecting Remittances in 2020. India tops the chart with the received remittances of USD 83 Billion, a drop of just 0.2% from 2019 (USD 83.3 Billion in 2019).
India topped in the list of Low- and Middle-Income Countries with maximum Remittance Inflows, India was followed by China (USD 59.5 Billion), Mexico (USD 42.8 Billion).
This article is written by;
Mr. Abhishek Srivastava